Sunday, December 11, 2011

Trade Fair Activity

We did an activity this semester called a trade fair. We were asked to bring something in and we would set all items out for everyone to see and then we would trade whatever we brought for something else that we wanted. This activity got us to think about how people used to trade in the early days of our country. I made a pear pie to take to the share fair and I knew it would get the attention of other students in my class because of the smell and appeal of the pie. I made sure to bake it right before class so it still smelled warm. I knew that this would make others in my class want to trade something to get the pie so I had the opportunity to pick and choose what I wanted. Carrisa had brought in an apple pie that looked just as good as my pie and I was hungry! Our class meets at 530 pm and most of us work during the day so by the time we make it to class we are hungry! I was definitely hungry and I decided that I wanted her pie! Luckily she was interested in my pie too so we were able to make the trade! Others in the class traded for the items that they wanted and some got what they wanted and some did not. Those who did not offer items appealing to others were not as successful in the trade fair activity. This activity would be a lot of fun to do in a classroom. Children could take a week to make something or think of something to bring in to trade with other students. This gets them thinking about the way that Indians and pioneers had to trade to get things they needed or wanted. It is important to note that if you want to trade up for something you are likely to have to trade away something that you like. I would do this activity for a 4th or 5th grade class to get them thinking about the value or trade and how trade impacted people in the early days of this country.  

No comments:

Post a Comment